Ski PE

TMHS+students+wait+to+hit+the+slopes+with+ski+PE+instructor+

Courtesy of Lily Graves

TMHS students wait to hit the slopes with ski PE instructor

Nick Denesik and Beck Lystad, Staff Writers

TELLURIDE– Ski PE, a tradition at Telluride Middle High School for more than 25 years, is up and running. 

The program includes Telluride School District students of all ages, and offers students and staff an opportunity to build relationships outside of the classroom. 

“Ski PE is an awesome opportunity for us to take advantage of the outdoor playground in our backyard,” Sara Kimble, TMHS principal said.  “Our goal is to get kids out on the mountain that don’t usually get out there, or give the kids the opportunity to participate in other various activities.” 

While the program is named for skiing, many other activities are offered for students uninterested in hitting the slopes.  Activities include climbing, art, yoga, dance, study hall, and weight training.  No matter what activity TMHS students elect to sign up for, they spend every Thursday and Friday afternoon, from 1:15 until 3:15 p.m., learning outside of the classroom with a coach, a group of peers and a teacher.

Students who participate in Telluride Ski and Snowboard Club ski in their club group and Ski PE students are assigned a Telluride Ski Resort instructor.

Ava Hagan, THS sophomore, says she really enjoys the overall aspect of Ski PE.

“Ski club means so much to me because I get to be outside and spend time with my awesome friends,” Hagan said.  She has been participating in the program for most of her life. 

THS economics and history teacher, Wayne Clark, is new to the program but comes to THS with a skiing background.  He says he values the program.

“It is a very important part of the school because it’s really great for students and teachers to be together on the runs,” Clark said, adding that it is very rewarding to ski with the kids because they teach him so much.

The program runs for five weeks.