Pizza with Professionals Hosts Mountain Trip

Courtesy of Sara Baffoe

Mountain Trip visits THS to provide career information to interested middle and high school students.

Zach Weissman, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE — Once a month, Telluride Middle High School hosts a lunch where students can meet local professionals and learn about different career paths, while enjoying a free lunch.

The program is sponsored by Alpine Bank and a Just for Kids grant.

January’s luncheon featured a presentation from Mountain Trip, a local mountain guide service company.

Nicole Lawton and Fischer Hazen, representatives of Mountain Trip Colorado, fielded questions and shared stories of their first-hand adventure.

Lawton said that Mountain Trip allows people to develop a new and fundamental skillset in the Telluride community and gives people the skills to navigate oneself through somewhat treacherous mountains.

For students who are interested in pursuing a job as a guide they need not look further.  Lawton said students who are comfortable with the outdoors can reach out to the organization.  She added that the company is very supportive.

“It’s more of a family than a company,” Lawton said.

The local outdoor culture continues to grow and this opportunity, to explore the mountains, is a perfect way to integrate oneself into the community.

“It’s hard work but it’s super rewarding,” Hazen said.

Becoming a guide requires the ability to analyze foreign situations and find solutions when problems arise. The abilities to remain calm under pressure and persevere in high tension situations can not be understated.

For more information on Mountain Trip visit https://mountaintrip.com/.