Hockey Comes to a Close

Photo courtesy of Lorrie Denesik

Senior hockey athletes celebrate an end to their high school hockey career.

Dillon Sheehan, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE — On Feb. 22, the four dedicated seniors of the Telluride Miners hockey team played and celebrated their last game in the Hanley Rink against Los Alamos.

THS seniors include: Gregor Remec, Nick Denesik, Johnny Wilcox and Matheau Richard.

The Miners started off this night by lining up the four seniors in front of the bench, each holding flowers to thank their parents and coaches.  Assistant coach Brett Borup also delivered words of encouragement about the athletes. 

The Miners started off their final game with a wrist shot by THS junior Landon Kusuno.  Twenty seconds later, the Los Alamos Hilltoppers scored, making it 1-1.

The two teams played aggressively. Senior Johnny Wilcox met a Hilltopper at half ice and body checked him to the ground.  The crowd went crazy. Senior Nick Denesik got sent to the penalty box after shoving a player into the boards, which led to a minor roughing penalty. To end the first period, Kusuno had another goal which was assisted by Matheau Richard.

The second period was filled with penalties as Denesik received another penalty after battling for the puck with malicious intent and shoving players.  The next six minutes of the period were filled with hard hits and hustle. Then Kusuno got a cross-checking penalty for two minutes, and right as Landon got out of the penalty box, THS junior Julien Brooks got a roughing call.

In the second period, the Miners took 11 shots and unfortunately were unable to put the puck in the back of the net.

Starting off the third period, THS junior Liam Scanlon got stitches for a cut on his face and was locked outside of the rink.  When the play stopped, Liam skated to the bench and was put onto the ice and immediately hit a bar down slapshot, giving the Miners a 3-1 lead.

Around three minutes later, the Hilltoppers got a lucky shot that slipped past the THS junior and goalie, Christian Betz, which was surprising because he saved 11 out of 12 shots this game.

With three minutes remaining in the game, Wilcox passed the puck up to the THS junior Henry Martin, which was then passed to THS sophomore Tyler Perpar for the easy goal, giving the Miners a 4-2 lead.

The seniors said they are proud of the team this year.

“My favorite part of the season was our team chemistry and team bonding, which lead to our success on the ice,” Greg Remec said. 

The four seniors have played with each other since they were 5- or 6-years-old.  This night was a perfect celebration of their high school careers.