Books to Read at Home

Shannon Wyszynkski

Spending time at home allows for time to get caught up on reading.

Shannon Wyszynski, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE– During these stressful times, life can be challenging for some and they may not know what to do.

Students who have online classes do their work most of the day, but what do they do to pass time when they don’t have work to do? One thing they could start doing is reading.

For some, reading and fun might not be synonymous, but setting aside an hour a day to read can help pass the time and make the stay-at-home order more enjoyable.

Kaila Reloj, a senior at Telluride High School, has been spending her time doing classwork, but she has also been reading. “I am reading Number the stars,” said Reloj. “The books is based on a true story of the resistance of the Nazis.” 

For teachers stuck at home, they have been grading, zooming, and posting school work for their students. Bonnie Emerick, a THS English teacher has been doing just that, but she has also been reading.

“Whenever I have free time, I like to mix up the choices that I read. I read and write every morning before getting online,” said Emerick. “I think it’s a great way to get away from the general public right now because it would help anyone cope with the uncertainty of the COVID-19 situation.”

Emerick is also reading two poetry books and rereading lots of memoirs in preparation of teaching a memoir next year in English 10. 

Loren Knobbe, True North Youth Program Director, said she has read four books so far during isolation, one of which is ‘The best of Edward Abbey.’ Knobble recommends this book.

‘It’s unique because it’s a compilation of excerpts from [Abbey’s] own favorites. Everything I’ve read by Abbey is great,’ Knobble said, adding that  after she finishes this book she wants to start ‘The Canary Tree’ by Lauren Oates and ‘Dead Sleep’ by Greg Isles. 

With so many options, reading can be a great way to pass time during the stay-at-home order.