Daily Life in Quarantine

With schools and businesses shut down all across the nation families are forced to adapt to the new living conditions. School shutdowns have forced many schools to swiftly shift to an online learning platform. The Telluride School District has made that shift very fast, with classes on Zoom only 4 days after shutting down. Zoom is an online video style classroom where students can log on for their class time.

The Telluride School district has desided to cancel the regular two-week spring break so students can continue working online. In return, the cancelation of spring break will mean that the school year will end on May 13th. 

During the work period through spring break, the administration has put “Miner Days” into place. Miner Days are days off usually on Mondays or Fridays. During Miner, Days students are encouraged to go outside and take some time off of school. 

With the help of Miner Days students now have the opportunity to leave their houses to engage in safe and healthy activities such as skiing, hiking, and biking. During his quarantine, Logan Petrie has spent a lot of time outside. Logan said, “I’ve been able to get outside and enjoy some time on my bike.”

Students at Telluride Highschool have started to feel the effects of not being at school. Many students wish to return to school. Sophomore Ava Hagan says “I want to be back at school among my friends and teachers. I also really want to get back to playing soccer with the girls.” 

The graduating seniors of 2020 have lost the last half of their high school career. With mixed feelings on being out of school, many seniors can’t wait to be off to college, while others want more time with their peers. Senior Tommy Wells said “I am kinda bummed about the second half of senior year but it’s quite the experience to have. I miss sports and the boys a lot but I don’t miss the busy work that we have to do during normal school”

While coronavirus continues to take a toll on the world, children continue to work from home, and with only 24 days of school left summers seems to be right around the corner.