Biden Aims High with Higher Education Plan

Keith Kobland

Biden delivering College of Law class

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the United States is facing an overwhelming student debt crisis. President Biden plans to create ways for future and current students to succeed without severe debt.

On Tuesday, February 16th, President Joe Biden explained that he would not eliminate $50,000 in student debt. This proposal for the cancellation of these debts was made by Democrats at the beginning of February. Biden claims that he is open to “some level of forgiveness.”

Biden stated that such a large wage of money would require Congressional action. NBC News article by Lauren Egan says, “Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and other lawmakers introduced a resolution in early February calling on Biden to use executive action to wipe out up to $50,000 in federal student loan debt for all borrowers, arguing that the secretary of education has broad administrative authority to cancel the debt.”(NBC)

President Biden, however, plans to offer some compensation to assist student debt. More plans include allowing more debt forgiveness for individuals working in public service jobs, as well as extending the academic year into the summer, temporarily, to make up for the lost time. This extension of the school year will allow the entirety of the content to be taught, giving value to the education and its price. Well aware of the economic strain of the coronavirus pandemic, Biden hopes to eliminate interest. 

While Biden is setting plans for current students facing student loan debt, he is also planning future students’ success. Biden’s plan for current students includes investing in community college education, strengthening college. pathways for the middle class, and supporting colleges that play major roles in the community. These include black and minority colleges. 

Biden believes in community colleges, workforce training and apprentices as a cost effective and quality education system and plans to invest $50 billion to improve this form of higher education. By investing in these higher education systems, it allows students to attend two years programs without debt,  having 75% of costs be covered by the government and 95% covered for Indian tribes. 

In addition, President Biden also plans to make college a realistic opportunity for all Americans by making public in-state colleges and universities free for families making less than $125,000 a year. The plan, which originally stemmed from Senator Bernie Sanders and Congresswoman Jayapal’s “Collage for all Act”, is a way for the middle class to still benefit from affordable education. 

Biden’s new plans for higher education will impact current and future students. With the average indebted student paying off their student loans over 20 years. People are not able to fully focus on themselves or their family until their mid-30s, causing extreme stress along the way. 

Biden’s new $10,000 forgiveness plan will cut down the 20 year payoff time significantly, giving people with student debt resources to start investing in themselves. This ultimately will not only free up money for past students but will provide a better quality of life for future students. 

Also, Biden’s plan to make college free for students whose families make less than $125,000 provides families that cannot afford college a chance to get an education and a sustainable future, free of debt and loans. With six out of ten high-paying jobs requiring higher education, this will allow more people to get out of poverty and expand the middle class. Biden’s plans make college more affordable and forgiving making the prospect of college more appealing, and overall increase the value of education in America today.