2021: Our Year in Review 

2021: Our Year in Review 

Jackson Anders, Independent Reporter

We all know that 2021 is simply a year filled with notable events. We all know the hope of the pandemic receding, a breath of fresh air with a new United States president, and of course a better year than 2020. Yet there are notable events that 2021 will be remembered for, both good and bad. Let’s take a look:

Capitol Insurrection:

Following the 2020 election and the victory of Joe Biden, Donald Trump’s supporters marched into the capitol on January 6, causing the death of 5 people and injuring many others, including 138 police officers. The trial included charges for 702 people who participated in the riot.

Evergreen Obstruction in Suez Canal:

In March, Evergreen, or Ever Given, one of the largest cargo ships in the world, was wedged in the Suez Canal for six days due to strong winds, but later being freed. The incident sparked international attention. 

Emerging Vaccines:

In early 2021, TVs show billions of people getting the COVID Vaccine, signaling the end of the pandemic, these hopes faded with the arrival of new variants, and many people were still being left unvaccinated.

Oprah Interview With Harry and Meghan:

An interview proved newsworthy when Oprah Winfrey interviewed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex Henry and Meghan. The exchange includes a bombshell where someone wondered how dark might their 2-year-old son be at birth.

Chauvin Trial:

Following the Black Lives Matter protests in Summer 2020, the result of former Minnesota police officer Darek Chauven kneeling on the neck of and killing George Floyd, the nation watched as Chauven went on trial. Chauvin was found guilty of murder and many Americans finally found justice.

2020 Olympics:

After a year delay due to the pandemic, the 2020 Summer Olympics were held in Tokyo in the summer, with new sports coming in, including surfing and skateboarding.

Afghanistan Withdrawal: 

The 20-year war in Afghanistan ended in late August when US troops and Afghan allies were evacuated from the country, the result of the Taliban takeover. The withdrawal resulted in several attacks, including a bombing in Kabul, and the callback to the Fall of Saigon decades earlier. 

Fight for Abortion:

On September 1, Texas place new anti-abortion laws in place, banning abortion after six weeks regardless of rape or incest, sparking national outrage and protests for women’s rights in Texas.

“Star Trek” Actor Goes to Space:

As three multi-billion dollar companies fight for supremacy in space exploration, people watch as William Shatner entered Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket and went where no other “Star Trek” actor has gone before.

“Rust” Movie Set Shooting:

In October, during the filming of the movie “Rust”, actor Alec Baldwin held an antique gun and accidentally shot and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza when the gun discharged, after being told it was “cold”. The incident resulted in intense media coverage and the investigation is still ongoing.

Cruz Pleads Guilty: 

In February 2018, Nicholas Cruz shot and killed 17 people in his former high school in Parkland, Florida, becoming the deadliest school shooting in US history. In October, he pleaded guilty of all 34 counts (17 murder, 17 attempted murder) thus reopening a painful chapter in recent US history that sparked national gun control movements.

Astroworld Tragedy:

In November, rapper Travis Scott held his Astroworld concert unfortunately ending with a crowd crush that left 10 people dead and many more injured. Many people documented the tragedy on social media and the investigation into the incident has since been ongoing.

Rittenhouse Verdict:

In 2020, 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse shot and killed three people during a protest in Kenosha, in November 19, he pleaded not guilty and was acquitted of the murder charges, as the defense claims that he acted in self-defense.

Oxford High School Shooting:

On November 30, a 15-year-old killed 4 students and injured 7 others in Oxford High School, his parents were later found and arrested in a warehouse. Ethan Crumbly was charged with murder and terrorism, while his parents were charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Kentucky Tornadoes:

In December, Kentucky was hit with severe tornadoes that leveled homes, businesses, factories and more, and killed over 70 people, leaving the whole nation reeling.