Pre-game with Rod

Laurel Henderson

THS Miners prepare for the five hour drive to Coal Ridge High School.

Landon Kusuno, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE —  Last year the Telluride High school boys soccer team had an exciting season, making it all the way to the state championship. Ramon Rodriguez “Coach Rod” is looking to expand on the success of last year’s season.

Coming into the first set of games, Rodriguez says that the key to success is working as a team and using the skills the team has been practicing.

Rod feels confident going into the weekend where THS will take Vail head-on in a tournament at Coal Ridge High School.  “I feel fairly confident that we can come out victorious, we have seen them play before and know what they are bringing to the table,” Coach Rod said.  His main concern, however, is coming together as a team.  “We need to figure out the kinks and work together as we build the team chemistry,” Rodriguez said. 

The boys varsity team plays at the Coal Ridge High School at 3:30 p.m. today.

“I am very excited to see how successful the team will be this season, and see how we can work together to be the best team we can be,” said varsity goalie Tommy Wells.   Last season Wells helped progress the team to the 2a soccer state finals.

Right midfielder senior Roc Repola is looking forward to another good season.  “I can’t wait to see how far we can go this year as a team. I believe that we have a very strong team that is capable of great things,” Repola said. 

The team of 26 has a record of 2-0 going into the upcoming weekends. Soccer captain Matheau Richard said he feels the team is looking good.  “After the 10-0 win against Bayfield, I feel good going into the weekend in Coal Ridge,” Richard said.   

The Telluride Miners have been training hard all season so that they have the best chance at success. During the season the miners play a total of 13 league games. The team encourages everybody to come out and support them on Sept. 28 at 11 a.m. for the homecoming soccer game vs. Cortez.