THS Teacher of the Month

Nick Denesik

Sara Lopez, Telluride High School's Teacher of the Month

Nick Denesik, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE– For the past seven years, Sara Lopez has been sparking Spanish passion in students at Telluride High School.

This month, Lopez was selected by the THS student council as teacher of the month. She is not only a great teacher, but she also goes above and beyond by coaching cross-country running and taking on the role of student council adviser.

THS principal Sarah Kimble says  that teacher of the month was started by student council in order to honor a teacher every month.

“I’ve been in Telluride teaching for seven years now,” Lopez says.  She is recognized by the entire school for being an outstanding teacher. 

Claire Shaver, a THS senior, recognizes Lopez as a teacher who can make teaching a new language fun.

Shaver is enrolled in the highest Spanish class offered at THS and is in her fourth year.  “I enjoy Spanish because of its ability to learn about a new culture and new language,” Shaver said.  “I should be fluent but I’m not.” 

Lopez got her bachelor’s degree from the University of New Mexico, and a master’s degree from Arizona State University. “I started teaching in 2005 in Tennessee,” Lopez says.

For Lopez, she would like to have her students want to learn more outside of the classroom and explore more. 

Student council member Grace Ringstad says that Lopez stood out as a great candidate.  “We all had a conversation that teachers stuck out, and four teachers stuck out and Lopez stuck out the most.” she said.  Commenting that she contributes to the school through teaching, student council, cross-country and adviser for homecoming.