High School Radio Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

High School Radio Club

KOTO Radio Station; Home to Telluride High School Radio Club

Ryder Wells, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE– Have you ever wanted to find your DJ persona?  Well, now you can! Telluride High School Radio Club is one of the many after school activities available here at THS. And it is, by far, the best.  

Every Tuesday, from 3 to 5 p.m., Rowen Warren, John Patrick Osborne and I enter the studio and feast our eyes on the walls of CDs.  We transform into our DJ personalities; Rowen Without a Paddle, The Weatherman and Midnight Ryder respectively and play music for San Miguel county listeners and beyond.  The club is almost entirely student run. 

We show up, regulate ourselves, and handle everything that needs to be overseen.  Despite our age, the music we play is mostly classic rock or modern music inspired by classic rock. Our biggest deviation from that genre is jazz. Over the years the three of us have really built an identity within KOTO and its listeners. We even got a call complimenting us from as far as Florida.

Osborne says the thing he enjoys the most about the radio club is the independence.  “We’re completely left alone. Sometimes we’re the only ones in the building,” Osborne said.

Each week we choose music based on the mood of the show.  

Warren, who has been a DJ one month longer out of us three,  said the most enjoyable aspects of the club are the connections he’s made with KOTO.

KOTO is a non-commercial, non-underwritten community radio serving the San Juan Mountains and beyond.    

We are all very passionate not just about the radio, but the music itself. You should check it out every Tuesday from 3 to 5 p.m..