THS Mock Trial

Johnny Wilcox

Colorado High School Mock Trial come to THS

Johnny Wilcox, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE — Students looking for an opportunity to get experience in a legitimate court case can finally stop searching, as Feb. 29 through March 1 will mark the first annual Colorado High School Mock Trial. This event will have multiple high schools in Colorado that will go head-to-head inside a simulated courtroom environment. 

Telluride High School students are currently being offered positions on a THS team that will attend the Feb. 29 trial in Glenwood Springs for Western Slope schools. The teams consist of six to 12 students from each school.  

The Colorado High School Mock Trial program has been around since 1985, sponsored by the Colorado Bar Association (CBA). More than 100 high school teams participate in Colorado’s mock trial program, which allows approximately 1,500 Colorado students to function as attorneys and witnesses in a simulated court case. 

There is a wide range of volunteers including attorneys and teachers, who are helping educate Colorado’s youth in the United States judicial system. 

THS social studies teacher Kelly Boykin hopes to get students involved in the program. 

“I think it is important for people to sign up earlier than later because the sooner they have the core team formed, the quicker they can prepare,” Boykin said.  “Anyone can join.”

Boykin said that it’s a great program for people who enjoyed the mock trial experience in 8th grade.

This program is currently being promoted inside THS  through flyers around the school.  

Students who would like to sign up should talk to Kelly Boykin in the high school or Laura Ianacone-Taschek in the middle school.  A signup sheet is also located in the THMS library.  

This opportunity is for High School students interested in a future career in law.

For more information visit http://www.coloradohighschoolmocktrial.com/.