Telluride Stays Hot Leading up to Playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

THS wins 4-2 against Ridgway

THS wins 4-2 against Ridgway

Jake Greene

THS wins 4-2 against Ridgway

Jake Greene

Jake Greene

THS wins 4-2 against Ridgway

Bo Zanardi, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE– Last Wednesday, Oct. 22, the Telluride High School varsity boys soccer team won 4-2, officially clinching their playoff berth against rival school Ridgway.

The first playoff game will take place at THS tomorrow at 1 p.m. where THS will take on Thomas MacLaren School from Colorado Springs.

Telluride sits in 9th place.

Leading the way in the game against Ridgway was Telluride’s sophomore midfielder, Tyler Perpar, who scored three goals in the victory and opened up the scoring for Telluride.  Perpar scored the lone goal in the first half for Telluride. Matheau Richard, Telluride’s center striker, tallied another goal in the second half, adding onto his team leading 10 goals on the season.

“I can’t explain the feeling of beating Ridgway at home.” Richard says.

This win for Telluride means a lot to the team, beating one of their biggest rivals twice in a row to guarantee a playoff spot, getting a win in front of the home crowd on Senior Night, and playing an all around great game.

The team traveled up to Pagosa Springs last Friday, Oct. 25 and beat them 4-2 as well.

On Saturday, Oct. 26, Telluride traveled to Crested Butte and tied their conference rival 1-1 after two scoreless overtimes.

Telluride has moved up to 6th place in their league.

Ramon Rodriguez, THS boys soccer coach, says the team is ready for tomorrow.

“It is going to take a combination of team work and good play,” Rodriguez said.  “They are ready to play.”

Rodriguez says one of their strengths is is their capability to score a lot of goals by a lot of players.

“We don’t just  have one threat. We have a lot of players that contribute,” Rodriguez said.  “And that, is hard to stop when you play us.”