Matlida Lights Up the Stage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Matlida Lights Up the Stage

Matilda poster as advertised in Angela Watkins classroom

Ryder Wells, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE –On Friday, Nov. 8, a group of school-aged thespians, new and old, took the stage and performed a musical adaptation of Roald Dahl’s 1988 book “Matilda.”  

THS Today interviewed some of the cast as well as drama teacher Angela Watkins about the preparation and performance.

• THS sophomore John Pumayalli played Rudolpho, Mrs. Wormwood’s salsa dancing partner, as well as a few extra characters in the play.

Q: What went into practicing for the play in general and Rudolpho specifically?

A: Most of what I had to work on was my choreography because I had a few parts that were improvised and some that were planned. And, the planned ones were very important for other people in the play. [There were] cues and moves that had to do with the actual script and helped understand the story better.

Q: Which night was your favorite? Do you think one went better than the others?

A: My favorite night was Saturday because I felt the most energy that night and I was vibing with the audience better. I think the night that worked best was Sunday because everything flowed better in the sense of set changes and cues.

Q: What was your favorite part of the play?

A: My favorite part of the play was the song “Revolting Children” because it was fun to sing it behind the curtains at the top of my lungs.

• THS senior Max Gorraiz played Mr. Wormwood, Matilda’s dad and one of the main antagonists of the play.

Q: What went into practicing for the play and for Mr. Wormwood specifically?

A: When I was practicing for the play I had to learn some London dialect and an accent. That was probably the hardest part for me; once that was done, the singing and the lines and the blocking were all really easy.

Q: Yeah your accent was good. What was your favorite night? Do you think one went better than the others?

A: The best night was definitely the third. Everyone put in the most effort they possibly could and we were all extremely happy with how we performed.

A: My favorite part of the play by far was when I got to go up all by myself in the beginning of the second act and make fun of the crowd as well as sing a funny song with lots of innuendoes.

• THS drama teacher Angela Watkins put on the play.

Q: What were you most proud of for the students in general?

A: I guess the size of the show; it was a big show. It was a big and the chorus was onstage almost the whole time. I’m proud of the how well they all did. It was a big ensemble.

Q: What night do you think went best?

A: Sunday, the closing night. Friday was really fun because it was opening night. That’s an awesome night too, but everything clicked and flowed, and everything went best the last night. 

A: There’s two parts I really liked. When Matilda was telling the story of the escapologist escaping the cages and the acrobat swinging down and doing tricks. One of the most touching parts was when the swings came down and the kids sung “When I Grow Up.” You see all the kids with hope and Miss Honey reflecting and thinking, when am I gonna grow up? And then, Matilda wanting to make things right. It’s all really sweet and I love the song. It makes me cry.