Student TAB

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student TAB

Courtesy of Kathryn Ballode

Courtesy of Kathryn Ballode

Courtesy of Kathryn Ballode

Courtesy of Kathryn Ballode

Nick Denesik, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE– Each year, Telluride High School joins forces with Telluride Aids Benefit to raise awareness and money to support AIDS and HIV prevention and care.

THS hosts a student fashion show to raise money, which is choreographed and led by students. This year’s show will take place on Feb. 20 in the Palm theater.  Student auditions took place on Nov. 17 and 19.  

This year’s director is senior Danika Petit, who’s been participating in the student fashion show since she was a freshman. 

Petit says that this year there will be about 50 student participants and practices will be held in the BlackBox and the cafeteria starting after Thanksgiving break.

“Once we get closer to the show we will be practicing on the Palm Theater stage,” Petit says.  

The show is put on to help educate and fight against HIV and AIDS around Colorado.  

THS teacher Jessica Heady supervises the student production.  She says last year students raised around $12,500.

Liam Scanlon, a junior who is in his third year participating in the fashion show, is ready to raise awareness across Colorado. 

“Many people create a stigma around AIDS and HIV and it is not a good thing, because it affects many people’s lives and it allows us to help with stigmas,” Scanlon says. 

This year THS will host an AIDS education day on Feb. 28, where health professionals will come in to talk to students and educate THS on AIDS and HIV prevention.