Fluffies for Finals

Rafael Gutierrez

Free puppy pets at Fluffies for Finals

Ryder Wells, Staff Writer

TELLURIDE- Final exams are one of the biggest stressors for high school students. Students are expected to take giant tests that are reflections of everything covered in a semester. Teachers tell students to get a good nights rest going into the exam, but sleep is often hard to achieve when nerves are running high. 

The Paw Club, led by Telluride High School teacher Kelly Boykin, along with Second Chance Humane Society understand this and offered an outlet for stressed out students:  Fluffies for Finals. 

On Tuesday, Dec. 17, dogs of all shapes and sizes spent the day at THS.  Students could spend as much or little time with the dogs in order to alleviate stress.  The dogs were provided by community members and the Second Chance Humane Society.

The dogs were well behaved, cute and excited to see people. A few were even up for adoption.

According to a Harvard Health Blog, people have known for decades that dogs are beneficial for health.  “Studies going back to the early 1980s support the idea that dogs—and other pets—have enormous health benefits for people. Pets have been shown to lower blood pressure, improve recovery from heart disease, and even reduce rates of asthma and allergy in children who grow up with a Fido or a Frisky in the house. Pets also improve people’s psychological well-being and self-esteem,” wrote bloggers Christine Junge and Ann MacDonald.

THS student Luke Jones said he enjoyed the event and that dogs are fun.

J.P. Osborne, also a student at THS gave the day a thumbs up.   

Junior Rafael Gutierrez had only one suggestion.  “[Next time] bring more dogs!”

The Paw Club will sponsor another Fluffies for Finals this semester.

For more information, please contact Kelly Boykin: [email protected]